Saturday, September 22, 2012

What component is it that just died on my Dell laptop?...

Default What component is it that just died on my Dell laptop?...

So while using my computer, I heard a slight "spark" sound emanate from where the power adapter plugs into it from the side, after which the laptop defaulted to battery power. Seems like a part of the laptop died somehow. Note that the problem isn't the adapter itself, but the laptop.

Can I replace whatever part died? It's a Vostro 1400. I hope it isn't part of the motherboard that died.

Default Re: What component is it that just died on my Dell laptop?...

Can I ask how you know that the power adapter is still working?

Because if you're sure the power adapter works then the problem is most likely a component on your motherboard.

You could always replace the motherboard. Or look closely at it and try to find the component that got fried.
Though it's probably more than one component.
That is something that a computer repair tech would take a while to figure out and it's not going to be an easy fix (unless you can find he motherboard on ebay for a good price).

 Re: What component is it that just died on my Dell laptop?...


When I plug the adapter into the wall, without having it connected to the laptop, it lights up just fine. Once I plug it into the laptop, it then "blips out". Also: I heard an audible sound right where the adapter plugs into the laptop. All of this points to something dying inside the laptop.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

No comments:

Post a Comment